Thursday, April 26, 2012

AX84 noise immunity.

Adding some noise immunity!  Here's some brand new twisted filament wires.  I re routed them so they are as far away from the signal wires as possible (green/white twisted wires)


It seemed to help a bit, but at high gain levels, there's still plenty of 60hz hum.  I was advised by another AX84 building to use a filtered AC input module, so I'm going to get a hold of one of those.

I also realized that the schematic had indicated that I need to ground the speaker outputs.



I didn't ground it exactly to point B... I just ran a wire directly from the AC input earth ground to the speaker output.  It's the lone green wire in the picture below.





I was able to solve some of the odd oscillations in the tone stack by adding three components.  This does result in some losses on the high end... hopefully it's not too noticeable.



I also found neat tone stack calculator from Duncan Amps, available for free!  It should prove useful for future designs.

Once I add a filtered AC input module, and probably a bottom plate for the chassis, this baby is going to be ready for an enclosure.




No comments:

Post a Comment